wanderwoods

wanderwoods
Wander Woods

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Oak Kin

My first publication from Bonds of Druids Fall 2008, sans some of the editing:

It is early Spring. I hear the oaks a’kenning, their earthly gongs drumming softly, intoning. In the slow awake-kenning, each life in the earthly garden senses and breathes in the cosmic light . I hear harmonies in the silences and in the forest. I am aware of the tides and turnings, the times be ‘tween. A folk of the forest, I am Oak Kin. I am Drui’d.  And, I’ve been listening … for years, sensing the changes in the spheres, feeling the shiftings in the elements of the earth, sea, and skye, knowing the shadows born of the light and of the dark. Sensing oneness and duality, ever one, ever many, ever changing, I have come to understand, and to feel the energies in flow. Now, I can sense the moments when the light’s balance shifts from sunlight to waning.  Deep within my being, I sense within the turnings ancient Wheel of the cosmos, I feel the openings of the celestial gates. I feel the solstices and equinoxes throughout all my being and I delight in the dance!

One Autumn’s equinox, Alban Elven, was another moment be ‘tween when I heard music in the silences of the forest. There is a wooden swing in my backyard near the edge of my sacred grove.  My grove is a wild place, rarely touched by man, a place I am drawn to and feel at peace.  Oaks, long lived, stand silently in three ancient circles, one circle expanding into another.  They fill the forest’s grove, providing home and comfort for many creatures.   Many times, I find my self sitting silently, in peace, at the edge of the sacred grove, just breathing, expanding my awareness into a nesting, a cocooning of my energies, surrounding me, and expanding into the earth below, the great forest around, and the heavens above. 

As the energies flow in the sacred space where I sit, and I find my self quietly breathing with them.  I feel connected to the ancient folk of this place and to my own kin, to the gentleness of the earth as she hums deep within the land, and in all the forest around me.  I joy in the boundless energies of the cosmos, flowing down upon this sacred space.  Purposefully, joyfully, I become one with the breathing of the earth, the forest, and the heavens.  I am at peace within my space.  I am able to approach, in truth and in earnest, the oak kin of the forest.  Or, perhaps, simply wait and see what comes to me!

As I sat that evening at the edge of the forest’s grove, gleaning northward, my breath in time with the gentle rocking of the swing, I sensed a wonder, a special magic!  The ancient cosmic Wheel turned, in almost perfect time with the setting of the sun!

The sun’s rays slanted as they are wont to do that time of year, bringing a soft, golden, magical light into the forest’s grove. I stilled, at peace, yet joyfully aware, anticipating the magic be ‘tween light and time.  The forest, too, fell breathlessly silent.  Each oak held its felling and a great hum rose up from the earth!  The birds listened also in that moment.

And, it was given to me to look to the west, to the first setting of the Autumn sun.  The sun had begun her waning at Midsummer’s and now the earth was entering the dark time of renewal.  I looked, and beheld a lone firefly.  And, understanding was given to me, for firefly was for the passing of Summer.  I was deeply touched in that moment to share so completely with the oak and to hear his gentle whisperings.  The forest and I were one. …

It was a joyful moment, and a sad moment as I realized the time had changed.  I remembered the early Spring and the humming of the forest at the Oaks a’wake-kenning, and lookedforward the browning of Summer’s blossoms and the Autumn colors falling to earth, and drifts of deep snows across the shadowy mountains.  And in my silent reflection, I heard of the first whisper from the Earth to the forest, ‘Sleep’.

As I turned back north, in and to the forest, the moment of silence deepened.   Suddenly! the oaks, as one! each fell two or three or four acorns. The forest rained, drumming the earth, in a space of two or three quick breaths …and, then, all within the forest were deeply still; the oaks dropping no more acorns that night.  And, in the drumming and in the silence that followed, I felt the great oaks honoring the earth and the cosmos, and their place within the cycles and the seasons at the turnings of the Wheel.  And, as the Earth bid ‘Sleep’, I felt the forest gently exhale.

The birds and forest life had always settled in, slowly, chirping, movement fading, slowing, quieting, through a whispering dusk.  That evening, the birds were quietly restful.  I reflected how the oaks had been randomly felling their acorns all ‘round the forest, through the day and deep into each night as the equinox had approached.  But, on that night there was only the lone firefly, the drumming of the earth by the oaks, and the silence. The winter stars began their progress across brilliant sky.

Moments like these are great gifts and wonderful to behold.  Quietly, I am grateful for all the forest, the earth, and the cosmos share with me.  Being ‘one’ with nature, hearing the elven gongs intoning from the a’wake-kenning oaks in Spring, and kenning the felling of the acorns in Autumn are wonders of life, of the earth and the forest.  Sensing the turnings of the great Wheel of the solstices and equinoxes is the blessing of the cosmos. These great moments are offered to all.  And, I am truly happy to be a'ware of the wonders. 

Yet, sensing in wonder does not reveal me to be kin of the forest nor of my brothers, the Oaks. It is my intention, rather, my be-leaf that good will and goodwill be done.  For, I honor the goodness and hold sacred all life.  I deeply care for all the special relationships I embrace within the circles and within the cycles of life.  For,

I listen to the forest and sea and aire, I listen to the planes and cosmos. 

I listen.
I seek to heal and protect all life and nurture all in my care.
I remember, and follow the ancient lore.
I honor my ancestors and believe in all my families.
I believe in possibilities.
I follow the natural ways of earth, sea, and skye.
I question.  
I seek balance, and invoke peace. 

As I join with my brothers of the Oak, deep in the silence within my being, I, too, feel the turnings of the ancient cosmic Wheel. I know and celebrate life, holding forth my hands as they, their branches, offering the hope of comfort and a home to all life. I am proud to stand with my brothers of the Oak, deeply rooted in our ancient Mother, the Earth, and reaching, ever growing, towards our eternal Father, the Cosmos.
I am Drui’Eld, a Drui’d. I am Oak Kin.

Gina Sims 2008 

No comments:

Post a Comment